As we move fully into the spring season, don’t wait for the heat of summer to consider a reflective roof. A commercial building’s roof bears the brunt of intense summer temperatures, which can also affect the temperature of the interior of the building. This can end up costing more money in an attempt to keep the building cooler and the occupants comfortable. Prepare now to beat the heat and protect your commercial building by consulting with a trustworthy roofing company to discuss the benefits of installing a cool roof today.
4 Reasons Not to Wait for the Heat of the Summer to Consider a Reflective Roof
Once the summer heat is here, reflective roofs quickly become in high demand and many professional roofing companies may be booking weeks to months in advance. By acting now, a commercial building owner can ensure that:
- The reflective roof fluid-applied system creates a more protective seal against the heat and high temperatures that the summer months can bring.
- The non-permeable membrane of this type of roof also helps protect the building against components of severe weather such as high winds, monsoon rains, and intense UV radiation.
- The white color of the fluid coating is applied via multiple layers for superior performance in solar reflectance.
- The lower temperatures in the building can help keep the air conditioning unit from becoming overworked, which in turn often yields energy savings.
The Benefits of Cool or Reflective Roofs
With all that commercial building owners are responsible for, we understand that any roof modifications must be beneficial on more than one count to justify the change. Fortunately, cool or reflective roofs come with a number of attractive benefits, including:
- Keeping people and things in the building cooler. Particularly in buildings such as schools, hospitals, and government facilities, it is critical to be able to keep the interior temperature cool during the intense summer heat. It is estimated that a cool roof can potentially decrease the temperature of the interior of a building by up to thirty degrees. The reflectance of solar heat allows the building to be cooler without having to crank up and put stress on the air conditioning system.
- Promoting heat safety. How much difference can a reflective roof make in terms of heat safety? In the warmest and most intense heat of the season, the difference can be up to eighty degrees between a reflective roof and one that is not reflective.
- Providing energy savings. When outdoor temperatures reach around ninety degrees Fahrenheit, that is when most air conditioners ramp up to compensate for all that hot air. In geographic areas like New Mexico where summer temperatures often hit or exceed ninety degrees during the day, it can be particularly hard on air conditioning units by making them run for longer periods of time. A reflective roof can be instrumental in reducing that added pressure on the system, which may result in up to a twenty percent reduction in energy bills over time.
- Reducing harmful carbon dioxide emissions. Building owners looking for greener options are frequently drawn to reflective roof installations because they can result in decreased emission levels of carbon dioxide.
How Easy and Affordable Is It to Have a Reflective or Cool Roof Installed?
While it is true that having a reflective roof is an added cost, there is a possibility that the price of that installation could end up saving a commercial building owner money in the long run because of the energy savings it offers.
The good news is that on average, a reflective roof installation is more achievable than you might think. For example, getting this type of roof is not restricted to new roofs. In many cases, the existing roof lends itself to a reflective coating via renovation.
In general, a roof renovation is preferred by commercial building owners instead of a complete roof replacement whenever possible. Here is why:
- It is more budget friendly. Roof renovations can cost up to fifty percent less than a roof replacement, and when adding the potential energy savings from a reflective roof, the change can be much more cost effective than other options.
- It is more conducive to the workplace. A reflective roof renovation is not typically as noisy or disruptive as that of a complete roof replacement. The latter generates a great deal of noise between the ripping away of old materials and installation of new ones, not to mention the presence of numerous vehicles which are tasked with toting away the old debris. With a roof renovation, occupants of the building often don’t even realize there is a team working on the roof.
- It offers warranty options. A reflective roof renovation install should come with a warranty. Particularly for cool roofs, a warranty may last as long as twenty-five years in some cases. Although it’s important to have documented maintenance on a regular basis to make sure any warranty remains valid.
Timing and the Right Provider Are Important Keys for Success
As the summer temperatures seem to inch up just a little higher than the year before, the demand for reflective roof installations is increasing. Don’t wait for the heat of the summer to consider a reflective roof, because that hesitation could put you on a growing waiting list of building owners wanting to make this change as well.
While a cool roof installation can be done (weather permitting) throughout the year, it may be more effective to have it in place before the summer heat arrives. This can keep the air conditioning unit from having to work hard to get the temperature down once the heat has already arrived and the reflective roof can take effect.
Look to enlist the help of a professional commercial roofing company that brings decades of experience to the table, along with a solid reputation for offering quality work to clients. Because intense summer heat can be so powerful that it degrades some roofing components over time, it is recommended to choose a roofing provider that offers a wide range of services including inspections, repairs, maintenance and more.
If June, July, and August usually find you sweating inside your commercial building and your air conditioner working overtime, don’t wait for the heat of the summer to consider a reflective roof. Act now and get ahead of the heat.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.