Dixon Valve | Commercial TPO Re-Roof
The roof on the Dixon Valve building was suffering from many unsuccessful attempts at repairs. After a free roof assessment, the experts at RoofCARE determined the roof was a candidate for a TPO re-roof. Learn how RoofCARE flipped this leaky roof into a watertight asset.
- Houston, TX
- 70,325 and 20,300 sq ft
- KRM Development
- September 2020
- JJ Blea
During the free roof assessment RoofCARE technical advisors identified the Dixon Valve building had a failing roof and was in need of a re-roof. RoofCARE experts pinpointed the root of the active leaks and diagnosed that they were a result of extensive cracking in multiple locations of the roof.
The roof had several areas that had begun to heave and split allowing moisture into the roofing system. It was apparent that the roof had many previous repairs that had failed and had taken in moisture. RoofCARE advisors also discovered water migrating across the metal decking causing extensive damage.
Another alarming find was that the expansion joints on the parapets (connecting the prefabricated concrete walls) had lost their waterproofing integrity. As a result, water was found behind the counter flashing at the expansion joints.
RoofCARE experts also found that the perimeter drip edge at the gutter was preventing the water from getting completely off the roof. This ponding at the edge was causing the drip edge to rust and needed to be replaced.
Roofing Materials Used
- GAF 60 mil TPO
- 1” Fan Fold insulation
With the widespread cracking and heaving of the existing Cap Sheet, a white TPO membrane was the best solution for this roof. A white TPO membrane was chosen because the perimeter of the roof would have 5’ TPO membrane to help reduce wind uplift and the white color is energy star rated. The white TPO will reduce cooling costs for the building owners.
Scope of Work:
- Removed parapet tilt up expansion joint membrane and t bar
- Re-sealed tilt expansion joints with new membrane and termination bar
- Removed counterflashing around parapet wall interior
- Installed TPO flashing on parapet wall (interior)
- Removed drip edge
- Installed new TPO coated metal drip edge
- Cleaned debris off the roof
- Installed 1” Fan Fold insulation (mechanically fastened to the metal roof deck)
- Installed TPO membrane on the entire roof
- All seams were “fused” together utilizing heat welding machines and hand-held welders
- Detailed all penetrations with flexible TPO membrane (skylights, fan curbs, vent pipes)
- Installed Termination bar around the perimeter of the roof at counterflashing
- Caulked all termination bar, exposed screw heads, and penetration bands
- Applyed fluid applied waterproofing on top of exposed concrete parapet
Key Commercial Roof Renovation Facts
- Flipped a failing roof with extensive leaks into a leak-free roof with the help of GAF TPO.
- The white TPO membrane is energy star rated and will reduce cooling costs for the building owners.
- 20-year Labor and Material
- 20-year NDL warranty.
- To schedule your free roof assessment contact us at 713-987-4978 or firstname.lastname@example.org.