Serving New Mexico & Texas Roofs For Over A Decade
Wall Repairs and Renovations
Experienced, Licensed, and Professional
Wall repairs and renovations can extend the life of exterior walls by adding valuable protection from extreme weather such as intense heat, heavy rains, and high winds. When damage occurs, it’s important to work with a highly respected company with experience in identifying and resolving issues affecting a structure’s walls.
Signs of Damage to Exterior Walls
While some deterioration of a building’s exterior walls can be expected with the passage of time, there are instances in which these situations should be addressed sooner rather than later to avoid more costly and complex remedies down the line. The goal in acting quickly is to address more of an aesthetic problem than one that snowballed and has become a troubling structural issue.
Examples of concerning visible damage on exterior walls include:
- A single large crack
- A network of cracks that seem to spread and can mimic a pattern
- A growing gap in the seam of a wall that exposes the interior to outdoor elements
- Mold growth
The Top 3 Causes of Wall Damage
The walls of a structure are foundational, and to that end it is critical to ensure they are built to last. However, in many cases commercial building owners find that while the walls of the structure are sturdy, they have not been properly fortified to protect against exterior elements.
- Water absorption. One of the reasons a masonry wall can be an issue for a structure is that substances like brick, concrete, and stucco are porous and can absorb water. This absorption of water, particularly during a heavy rain or monsoon can lead to damage such as the growth of mold and over time could contribute to the overall deterioration of the wall material.
- Moisture retention. Water absorption is half of the equation when it comes to walls, the other half is moisture retention. A wall that retains moisture and that is unable to expel it or breathe can lead to mold growth that can negatively impact the health of individuals inside the building. Unprotected walls may also experience costly and dangerous electrical issues during heavy rains such as those associated with monsoon season.
- Cracks. In the winter months, colder temperatures can lead to cracks in walls. This is due in large part to the moisture absorbed and retained in an unprotected wall that expands in freezing temperatures.
Common Methods of Wall Repairs and Renovations
With the top three reasons wall damage happens in mind, it yields a specific plan of action in preventing these situations from becoming a reality. Each of these causes of damage are related to the absorption and retention of water, so the best way to protect a wall is to keep water from becoming an issue in the first place.
While the weather cannot be controlled, water’s impact on a wall can be. An ideal method of protection is adding a strong fluid moisture barrier to a wall, which allows it to:
- Expel water
- Prevent moisture from entering the building
Walls that have already sustained damage may be able to be repaired and then have the barrier applied to discourage any further issues. Exterior walls that have sustained more substantial damage may require a renovation instead but will also benefit from the application of the moisture barrier for future protection.
What Can Happen If Needed Wall Repairs and Renovations Are Delayed?
Mother Nature can take her toll on even the strongest of building materials over the course of time. Long periods of high temperatures as well as strong winds and heavy rains can cause a structure’s walls to deteriorate.
Some of the unfortunate outcomes of delaying wall repairs can include:
- The compromising of structural components: It is critical not to let a wall become so cracked and fractured that it risks the structure’s integrity and safety.
- Electrical system issues: If a crack in a wall becomes exaggerated with the passing of time, it may leave electrical system components exposed which can be dangerous if that exposure leads to the infiltration of water.
- The growth of black mold: The penetration of water into a cracked wall could promote the growth of black mold when left unaddressed, and this can lead to the development of respiratory problems for individuals who spend time inside the building.
Finding a Company that Specializes in Wall Repairs and Renovations
One of the best places to start when looking for a company that specializes in wall repairs and renovations is by consulting with professional roofers. A reputable company will handle more than roofs and can help preserve the integrity of the structure’s walls through repairs and renovations.
If you are a commercial building owner with damaged exterior walls or are concerned about this soon becoming a reality, contact us today to find out more about wall repairs and renovations and how they can better protect your property and those inside.