One of the most important things for a commercial building owner to know is how to avoid premature roof replacement. While owners may not have control over extreme weather and other factors that impact the exterior of a building, there are things they can do to prevent having to pay high costs for a roof replacement that might could have been delayed.
3 Potentially Preventable Reasons a Premature Roof Replacement May Be Needed
Before we talk about the ways to avoid premature roof replacement, it is important to identify the most common reasons a roof replacement is generally needed, such as:
- Bubbling or blistering. If a roof begins to bubble or blister on the exterior, it can indicate the presence of trapped moisture. This can be a sign of water damage, and if left perpetually unaddressed, it could ultimately result in needing a roof replacement.
- Damage to the membrane. Especially for flat roofs, membrane damage can be an issue. Building owners should be on the lookout for either balding or lifting spots that could signal issues with roof protection.
- Leaks. When it comes to roof leaks, it could look like a small wet spot in the ceiling that gradually grows in size over time, or it could look like it is raining inside when it is also raining outside. Either way, a small leak that that is not repaired or addressed quickly can grow into a more complicated problem that may require a new roof.
Ways to Avoid Premature Roof Replacement
What commercial building owners may not be aware of is that by taking a few small steps such as the following, they may be able to avoid premature roof replacement.
- Prevent blistering by keeping the area as dry as possible during installation, ensuring proper ventilation, and keeping the roof free of debris so the water can drain properly instead of pooling. Debris could include anything from leaves and tree branches to bird nests.
- Have the roof regularly surveyed by a professional to look for any potential damage to the membrane. If any trouble spots appear, have them repaired as quickly as possible.
- Protect against leaks by installing a good drainage system for the roof, repairing damaged flashing, and sealing any weak points or openings. If the roof is subjected to intense weather such as several inches of rain or heavy winds, it can be advised to check for any damage that could lead to the development of a leak.
- Work with a reputable roofing company to schedule regular roof inspections to keep situations from getting out of hand. This ideally enables experts to identify and correct an issue before it becomes a bigger problem that could require a roof replacement.
While some of these preventative steps may take time and money to fix, both should be at a far lesser scale than what an entirely new roof would require.
Benefits of Having a Roof Regularly Inspected and Maintained
Roof inspections can be the number one tool in avoiding a premature roof replacement, after all it is hard to fix a problem that you do not know exists. Enlist the help of a trusted and respected commercial roofing company to help determine the integrity of a roofing system via regular inspections.
A good roof inspection should include most, if not all, of the following components:
- General roof inspection
- Leak inspection
- Location of leak sources
- Conditions and defects
- Interior layers
- Roof age
- Roof dimensions
- Roofing features
- Roof type
- Detailed report and summary spreadsheet
- Corrective recommendations and budget
- 5-Year roof management plan
Via quality diagnostic tools, a reputable roofing company should be able to identify defective areas and create a plan for addressing them. This process can include:
- Taking core samples. This includes a company taking actual samples of the roof to test their moisture content, physical makeup, and tensile strength. A laboratory can then test and analyze those results to assist with what repairs might be needed.
- Utilizing infrared scans. Technology like infrared thermography can be invaluable in identifying moisture in a roofing system. Finding moisture may lead to the exposure of an open seam or similar issue that simply requires resealing an area.
- Using Tramex. A roofer can also use what is called a Tramex Moisture Scanner to quickly find moisture pockets in a roof.
How to Choose the Right Roofer to Help You Avoid Premature Roof Replacement
When searching for the right roofer for your commercial building needs, it is critical to choose a provider that meets multiple roofing needs. In addition to performing roof inspections, repairs, renovations, replacement, and maintenance, also look for a company who can do skylight renovations, wall repairs and renovations, concrete and pavement renovations, waterproofing below grade, pressure washing.
By choosing a company that offers a wide scope of services, you are creating a one stop shop when it comes to all your roofing needs. This provides continuity in service and may help you move to the top of the list in the event that there is a monsoon or storm that causes widespread roofing damage.
In addition, look for a roofing company that is:
- Experienced. It can be helpful to choose a roofing company that has combined years of expert experience in different roofing systems and roofing-related projects.
- Confident. A professional roofing company will offer different types of warranties to show they are confident in their work.
- Reputable. One of the best ways to learn more about a company’s reputation is to speak with previous clients. If that is not possible, take time to research the company’s online presence and see what others are saying about them.
- Philanthropic. A company that is philanthropic in the community can speak volumes about their character and commitment to what they do. Look for pro bono or discounted projects they have done for various organizations over the years.